Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why flash websites are a NO NO!!

One of the first things my clients usually ask me when building a website is....can you do it in Flash? When I get this question...I want to take off my shoe and hit myself in the head with it (not them because then they would probally not hire me if I hit them with my shoe...just a thought).


I'll admit that flash sites are really pretty and fancy....but they are becoming the dinosaur of technology. I mean think about it....the manufacturer ADOBE doesn't even have their website done in flash?? Right there that should be a HUGE red flag!!


But there are more reasons why!!


1) Limited Mobile Viewing:  Mobile Devices, Ipads and Iphones do not have flash support. So basically if you build all or most of your website in flash....it can't be seen on these applications.


2) Bad for SEO:  If you want your website to appear in the search engines....flash is a BAD idea! Search engines don't index flash pages....so it will be tough to find you!!


3) Slow Content Loading: Standard websites have content that show up instantly...with a flash website it has to load...kinda like a video game....this is because flash does not have streaming capabilities. 


4) 3rd Party Dependancy:  You need Adobe's Free Flash Player plugin in order to even view flash....so really that's another step needed to just see your flash website. If you don't have it, then you have to download and install it. By that time, your prospective viewer is long and gone baby!!


5) Bookmarking Issues:  Basically a flash website has one url link for all the pages....so you can't bookmark a certain page you like in your browser. Seems like not a big deal but it could cost you a returning viewer. 


If a flash website can't be seen.....then what good is it for your business? There are other alternatives that I will post on another blog.


I hope someone gets the humor in the picture above (especially my little alteration...sorry but its 5am and I'm feeling silly)


Check out my NON flash websites at www.robertcipolla.com

2 comments:

  1. When reading this blog it contains a lot of information that is very helpful and knowledgeable thoughts.
    Direct mail letter

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a good job by sharing the blog regarding flash websites. Its really so interesting blog. Now I want to know more about it.You explained all the reasons in points also. Please share some more blog.
    sharepoint digital signature

    ReplyDelete