Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tips to becoming a Freelance Web and Graphic Designer!!

Over the last 15 years,  I have received many emails from students and newbies just starting out in web design and graphic design. They always ask me "what is your best advice for starting out and staying in the business?" Its a real tough question with several ways to answer it. 


The only real way to learn is to make mistakes. Oh boy have I made them and still do!! But you try to learn from those mistakes. The graphics and design end of it is not really the battle. Its the business end that is the real war!! You can be a great designer but bad with people and money. If that's the case, you are better off working for someone full time. Here are some 5 basic rules/start up tips to go by:


1) Start off working cheap!! If you start off working a lower rates you will be able to build a client base and more importantly create a nice portfolio of design work. More clients, more referrals. Don't do this too long or get into the habit of this because you will learn it will become a problem. 


2) Network!! Let as many people as you know that you are designer...especially a web designer. I can't tell you now many times I have had landed jobs based on meeting people in social situations. Someone may ask you at a dinner party what you do for a living? You tell them you are a web designer....they say" Oh my god, I've been looking for someone to build a website! It can be that simple! 


3) Go get what you are worth!  If you have some experience under your belt and your work has value...you should get the proper rates. Working too cheap is a recipe for disaster. You will find yourself spinning your wheels, getting frustrated and then not producing a quality product!!


4) Produce self-marketing material: Sounds like common sense but it can be overlooked. A well designed business card, brochure, WEBSITE, t-shirt, vehicle wrap etc etc! I can't tell you how many contacts I have made on a Sunday morning..getting a bagel...wearing my t-shirt with logo...half asleep and still getting a contact and client!!


5) Barter Baby!! Since you are a greenhorn....you might not have the bucks to do whats needed! Have no fear..barter is here! You should barter with printers, sign companies, advertising companies and anything else that you might need. I myself have barter everything from from printing to materials to a fence for my home. Bartering is such a powerful tool that is often not thought of! Save your cash for when you really need it. I often barter when I know the client is not going to move forward because their funds are tight. But if you tell them how about we barter services...they usually go that route with you. 


Hey we all have to start off somewhere!!

Check out my portfolio at www.robertcipolla.com






No comments:

Post a Comment