Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Importance of Font Choice in Advertising and Logos!!

When designing a logo I always ask the client about what font are you looking to work with? I usually know what I want to use anyway but I always want their input. 50% of the times they say "Doesn't really matter...I don't care!". Wow....huge mistake!!


Your logo is your brand and so if your font choice. Your font should have character, style, and portray your image or expression properly. So what does this mean?


Ok, say you are a architect working on getting your logo done...you should avoid fonts that are whimsical, cute, old fashioned or even bold. You would want to use fonts that are sleek, modern, and professional.

Below is a do and don't:


First Font:  Wrong Font Choice
The first font is cooper black. It's bold and bubbly...not really for an architectural design company! It's more suited for kids entertainment or used as a headline. An example of poor font choice.  The second font choice is Panther and it's more sleek and modern looking! To me it's a more snobby and posh font...more geared towards professional business's rather than mom and pop operations. Don't get me wrong, I love mom and pop operations! I feel they are the foundation of this countries small business structure. The point of my rambling is just to really think about font choice while designing.

Font choice is also extremely important when thinking about exterior signage. When designing your companies lighted sign, that sign has to POP! It has to be legible from the street and from moving cars! I would avoid thinner and scripted fonts for signage. So fonts that are think like Panther above won't work....but the cooper font will work because it's bold! So in that case that Font works. See Below!

Second Font: Wrong Choice


Another example of correct font choice would be in the logo below! The client wanted a font that is friendly, bigger in size, and an american style. 

Font Choice: SF Collegiate....An All American Retro Style Font

This is a prime example of font choice along with choice of medium. You have to use your instinct but also go with the industry norm! When it comes to font choice, it's important to consider the fonts weight, x-height, italic, and tradition! A font is like clothing, it's used to portray stature, style, mood, your professionalism, your anti-professionalism and more!

Remember the small details are what can make or break your design and branding.

Check out my website at www.robertcipolla.com




3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for that little insightful post ;) really helped me with a project I'm doing! Keep blogging ✌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!
    Web Design Miami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will benefit from your writing. Cheers! https://e-book.business/fundamentals-of-corporate-finance/

    ReplyDelete